Wednesday, September 11, 2013

so much love for pyrex

One area of my life I've been sorely lacking on sharing (but it totally consuming my brain waves these days) is my obsession with vintage pyrex. I love the cheery bright colours and patterns, how fun it is to treasure hunt for pieces in the wild, their utilitarianism, and how it gets me one step closer to pretty much being the coolest grandma ever! Sure I've shared a few of my finds over the years on the blog (link) but the lack of suitable lighting and backdrop in our apartment in Victoria pretty much stopped me from sharing any of my limited finds from the last two years.  My love for pyrex continues to grow as my collection slowly does and after a extremely successful pyrex hunt on my honeymoon I may have brought home 23 pieces with me from the US... Oh my. Unfortunately my house is still in a complete state of dismay, boxes, and renos, so I'm not at the stage of unpacking and enjoying my pyrex babies quite yet, but one day. I hope. 

Now that my wedding planning has stopped I've been focusing my attention on oogling pyrex collections and set ups on the internet much like the swoon-worthy loveliness of this one:

(source)

Ah! Those colours! Those stacks! Those amazing completed sets! Oh! And mason jars and owls? It's perfect. I'm no where near this level of pyrex awesomeness and have decided once I get my pretties out on display in my kitchen I will take a good look on what I've got and try to organize my collecting so I don't end up dying in a pile of broken dishes one day when I try to find something on a shelf...minor details right? 

14 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I once dreamed of such a collection. About 6 dishes in I gave up. Our space is too small to house an awesome collection. I'll try again next house. (And after at least one of my kiddos goes to college in 2 years.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely sure I have space for such a collection either...but since I'm sans kids I am still willing to try! Fraser, on the other hand, may not be so thrilled with my plans.

      Delete
  2. i just vomited rainbows! absolutely amazing photo!

    I love pyrex but I've already got a couple of other bulky collections on the go, so have to limit myself :) I don't do a lot of thrifting so that probably saves me a lot of space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if only I had such restraint! I pretty much fall in love with all sorts of amazing goodies in thrift stores and then before I know it have a plethora of different space consuming collections on the go. Looks like I need to win the lottery and get some extra square footage for all that fun!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful colors! love it!
    http://angelaestercroche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh ... so pretty! I have a few pieces of pyrex, but nothing that actually matches! ~__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After shopping for pyrex in the States I must say it is exponentially more difficult to find matching pieces in Canada for a reasonable price, so I imagine Australia is similarly challenging. I'm certainly not about to give up hope though! I will be thrift shopping for years I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. Just found your blog, kawaii + science? MY KIND OF SITE. I need some kind of set-up like this for my eventual vintage shop. Thanks for the inspiration, gonna take it with me for photo-staging and shop re-stocking :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to own a shop and be able to make window displays and stage items! Oh what a dream! Thanks for the kind words :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I really want to reorganize my kitchen to give myself more room for the pyrex collection! Right now, it's just on 3 small shelves and I feel like I need to hold back and only buy certain sizes, but that collection is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you! I always look at mid century modern hutches now when I peek in thrift shops and vintage stores and dream about a day when my collection can spill over into it's own display case!

      Delete
  7. I started out reselling and gave my 'browns and tans' to my a friend as those are her colors. I burned out selling (a lot of work) and now I have a hoard and I love it! I switch it out on my peninsula and keep assorted sizes of pink pans stored underneath! You can see my current display on my blog. I added a 441 Cinderella (butter print) and a 1.5 quart (blue snowflake on white) baker the day after posting. Good luck with your hunt!!!

    http://evieshaus.blogspot.com/2013/09/pyrex-need-i-say-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a pretty big collection and it grows all the time. but i do use EVERY piece I own. i have two different sets of bowls (the green one that is in the bottom left of that photo above) and a set of red, orange and yellow ones that have the lips on the sides - those ones are awesome because they are bigger than the green set i have.

    then we move on to my ever growing refrigerator dish supply. i LOVE these and use them ALL the time. currently i think we are up to 7 large, 5 medium and 5 small - all different colors (mainly primary colors - but we do have an awesome green large and cool orange large one as well)

    then just some random casserole type dishes..those don't get used as much..

    oh and a pink 9x9 square that i use for when i make brownies...

    ahhhhh pyrex!!!!

    pyrex lovers unite!

    xxxx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete