Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DIY packaging

Figuring out packaging for my products is one of my favourite things about selling crafts! It lets me stretch my creativity muscles a bit and leaves me with some fancy semi-professional looking geeky products perfect for retail! I've had a few people ask me about how I make my packaging and even though it isn't the most complicated process I thought I'd share how I do it! So lets go - do it yourself packaging!:


Supplies required:

- small resealable storage bags
- cardstock
- stapler
- ruler
- scissors
- computer (with some sort of design program) and printer
- pen


Most crafty people have the majority of these supplies on hand, and if not you can pick them up at a craft supply store. Since I'm all about the deals, I get my recycled cardstock from Michael's (where it is usually on sale or with a 40% off coupon) and my ziplock baggies from the dollar store. Most dollar stores with craft sections tend to have bags in a few sizes (in fact Micheal's even sells them), but I'm particularly fond of the ones they sell at Dollarama:


Time to whip out the ruler and measure how large you'd like your card topper to be:


I like to cut a scrap piece of paper and place it on the bag to make sure the sizing looks right:


Now it's time to get creating! I like to make a file that is the same size as the cards I want to make (in this case 5.5cm x 8cm). I then use some scanned drawings I've done (ciliated bacillus and speech bubble) to put on the front and write out my etsy shop url on the back. Next I copy and paste the card designs so I can print a bunch out on a piece of paper:


Time to print that baby out!


Tada! I use photoshop for my file editing (which I've learned with the help of Fraser and a whole bunch of trial and error) but any photo program would work. In fact, from about 1995 - 2005, I solely used MS Paint for all my image editing needs and it works like a charm (and is on most computers and isn't overly complicated). Heck! You could even just make the boxes in a word processing program and use clip art! Still not your style? You could always cut out images and text to make a collage that you could photocopy to make seamless cards! If all else fails, grab a pen and get drawing. There are loads of options for card design depending on your skill level! Just be creative!

Once you've got your cards printed out, cut them to size so they're ready to staple! I like to add a little extra handmade touch to my packaging by hand writing labels depicting which designs are in the pin pack. Bring out the sharpie pens! Those things are awesome:


Almost done! Time to fill the baggies with the lovely handcrafted goodies you've made, line up your newly designed card, and get stapling:


Hooray! Take a step back and admire your work! You're done!


Yipee! I use the same process for all my packaging where I measure the size of the cards I'd like to make, cut up a test one to make sure the parameters work, and then create files to print out on the computer! For example, for my pocket mirrors I use wider cards to fit the larger ziplock bags I use:


I try to match each handsewn felt pinking sheared case with the colours in the mirror design I'm packaging and then use two staples to attach the card:


As easy as that! Hopefully this tutorial was helpful to any of you curious about creating your own packaging and if you have any questions for me I'd be happy to answer them for you! What do you think? What do you look for in craft packaging?

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the mid 90's elementary ruler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love packaging up my crafties. It's one of my favorite parts of having a business. Your packaging looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I need to do this for my stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your packaging is so cute,thanks for sharing your process (:

    Hopee you Have an awesome day!

    Carmila

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say? You are one clever crafter. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrying your lunch to the effort is a predicament that could assume gigantic proportions unless it's solved early on. It is easy to help them eliminate this trouble by Resealable bags without cost began offering rebates for your brand promotion activities.

    ReplyDelete