Thursday, May 24, 2012

Check it off the craft to do list!

So as you may recall I've been wanting to make some wooden mushrooms (from Stelabird's tutorial) for months now (link). Yes - months. After boasting about how great it would be to do a quick little craft I quickly headed out to get some supplies! The verdict? Wooden split balls are very difficult to find. Sure the candle cups, glue, and paint were easy enough but the mushroom cap bits? Nope. No where to be found - not at Michaels, not at hobby stores, not even at Lumberworld. Rats. I finally saw some online and came to the realization that this would no longer be "a quick little project" to cross off my list. Well after many weeks of searching, purchasing, and waiting for my split ball parcel to arrive I was ready. It's mushroom time! And boy was it ever worth the wait! Check them out:



I may have missed the boat on the February "girls mushroom crafting night", but once I had the materials they were a sinch! I decided to make them in a few of my favourite spring colours and instead of using a pen to put the dots on, I dabbed them on with a little dowel to get some variation. The mushroom caps ended up being a little smaller than I had expected (serves me right for now actually measuring and not knowing my imperial measurements that well) but after all the effort of just finding them, I am willing to compromise on perfection. You can see their wee little proportions better with a side view:


I'm also really digging the unvarnished look and until I pick up some matte varnish (shiny isn't always best if you ask me) these babies will have to stay out of the terrarium if they want to stay pristine. Shelf time! Yay! I am so happy with how they turned out!
 

Aww, such cute little fungi! And best of all? I can finally cross something off my crafty to do list! Hooray! What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. are those the mason jar stems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I like mushrooms so they are wonderful in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see these when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the colours you've chosen, and I think the smaller caps look sweet. They're like baby mushrooms! Baby death caps/amanitas anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so cute! I think they will look great in your terrarium! ^_^

    ReplyDelete