Thursday, May 27, 2010

Return of the Doily

Doilies seem to be making quite the comeback in the craft world and the crafty blogosphere seems to be scattered with sweet doily tutorials! Charlotte's fancy shared this great project on dying doilies using food colouring, which if you haven't seen in your internet travels you should totally check out:


What great ideas to use them as gift wrap! And dying them looks super easy (assuming you have a kitchen, dishes, and food colouring at your finger tips - hint hint dad - get that blasted kitchen done please!) I also quite enjoyed martha's tips on cutting up doilies to make cards too (and we all know how much I love my stationary and post!):


And while we're on the topic of doilies and cards - here's a little creation I came up with using the doily that came with my guacamole a few weeks ago (and yes - I collect my craft supplies from all sorts of interesting sources):


Boy I love that card! Nothing perks up mail more than pastels, doilies, and Captain Kirk! Almost frame worthy in fact! But don't start checking your mail boxes hoping to receive this gem - it's already been sent out. Looks like I need to go to Boston Pizza more often for nachos to stock up on more doilies! Or I could just go to the store and buy some...but that involves less melted cheese so I like the first idea better...

5 comments:

  1. Beam me up a couple of doilies and I'll be all set to make some crafts. I am positive that there were some doilies in one of the kitchen drawers. We just have to dig though the huge stake of boxes waiting for the new kitchen to be finished. I never knew how much stuff was in the kitchen until we packed it all up and how much I used on a regular basis. I would do things differently if I did it again but I hope never to re-do the kitchen again. It's the end of May - where is my new counter top!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that women are empowered nowadays; therefore, I figure you and Mm could figure out how to do the kitchen stuff while Dad is off at work ;P

    I like the Kirk card. It's classic. I'd have never thought to use a doily there, but it looks really good. I love art cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a) Captain Kirk quotage for the win.
    b) I propose a drinking game, wherein we take a shot for each time you say "Doily" in this post.
    c) Nacho doilies are also for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love doily's and i have missed that there is a craze going through the internet for them at the moment! going to research, i need to dye some for prettyness too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,

    I can't say that I'm a big fan of doily cards. However, your Captain Kirk doily card is something else. I think that it has a really great retro feel, and I am sure that there is a market for this kind of thing. I think that you should continue and make a series of cards. Here are a few characters that I would love to see featured: Kojak, the six million dollar man, Columbo, Starsky and Hutch. Come to think of it, for a more modern feel, how about Jack Bauer, "We're running out of doilies!"

    ReplyDelete