Monday, November 1, 2010

crafty preparation - part I

Since I've been so busy crafting up a storm for my first large scale two day craft show, I haven't had an awful lot of time for blogging. I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to combine the two (hectic crafting and blog posts) and help pump up the excitement for the show (this friday/saturday) by writing all about my crafty preparations this week! Woo! It also conveniently allows me to ask for some much appreciated input on my new craft show oriented products! Let's get started then!

When I first decided to take on the fabulous finds show I was determined to make some products that I could charge a little more for since I did have to pay to get into the craft sale and most of my items (buttons, magnets, mirrors) are already at lower price point. I'm pretty sure I've been meaning to make these for a ridiculously long time too....any guesses?


No? How about this for a hint? (why yes - I have a lot of tea pots...)


Hooray! That's right! I finally got around to making tea cozies! Perfect for combining my love of tea, cozies, sweet suiting material, and felt embroidery! Yay! I love how they turned out but boy where they a ton of work:


And three snappy designs to chose from! Check out tea loving yeti:


Or how about flowers (for the more subdued tea drinker)?:


and an old time fav - love robots!:


So much fun! Which do you like best? I'm pretty fond of yeti myself - I mean check out that steamy cup and over-enthused expression:


Yay for tea! And yay for tea cozies! Now the question is - what to price them at? How much would you be willing to pay for one of these exclusive cozies? Keep in mind the cost of materials (stuffing and suitings aren't cheap) and my massively enormous amount of time and effort. I'm already convinced in order to get these to sell I will be accepting slave labor wages, but I would like to make a smidge of a profit too! So I'll leave it over to you - what do you think?

6 comments:

  1. 38? 36? 42? Round numbers sound more welcoming to me.

    -linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of over-enthused expressions. ;)

    Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea Cozies! Woot! I've always said my favourite thing you'd ever made (among many super awesome things) was that tea cozy. Love the robot cozy.

    No idea what to price them at, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Mom did an awesome job sewing those up for you :P I'm sure it's the planning and embroidery that takes all the time. Though for the record, she'll be getting ACTUAL slave-labour wages (as in nothing).

    I think they're really awesome, but have no idea how much to charge. I'd go for less than $50, though definitely more than $30. Have you looked any up online to see what the going rate is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! What a delightful yeti! Love it! :D

    (I have added Scientific Culture to my blog's list of links, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete