Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Botanical anomalies

Have you ever noticed that when you grow your own veggies you get quite a few that don't really look anything like the ones from the grocery store? Or while we're at it - that they don't even taste the same? Well this is certainly the case for carrots (at least in my experience). Just take a peek at this carrot genetic anomaly:


Pretty cool right? When I saw the article on Cup of Jo's blog about German artist Uli Westphal I just had to share it with all of you! He was appalled by the enforcement of agriculture standards making every vegetable look the same so he went down to the local farmer's market and took pictures of all the botantical forms of each fruit and veggie. Just take a peek at a few more of his findings:


Aren't they interesting (and probably really hard to cut and cook with)? He compiled his images into one magical rainbow print of weird fruit:


Neat! You can buy it off his website too! I'm definitely adding this one to my kitchen wish list (hint hint my birthday is only 2 months away...). What do you think? Do you love gimpy veggies as much as I do?

3 comments:

  1. I like most of them, but the strawberry freaks me right out. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha these are so cool. I once tried to grow carrots but they just never grew larger than 2 cm.

    ReplyDelete